Did you know weight management is 75% food and 25% exercise? To stay fit and healthy, you need to first nurture your relationship with food. There’s really no outrunning a bad diet!
Do it right and your sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure levels will improve too. You’ll also feel more energetic and have fewer health niggles, mood issues, and aches and pains. And like any good relationship, it gives you a glow – hello healthy skin and shiny hair!
5 Tips To Get You Started On Healthy Eating
1. Keep a food diary to take stock. Even those who think they are eating right often spot missteps when they track actual intake.
2. Practice mindfulness, taking a second before that first sip or bit to think about calories, sugar, and fat content. Do you really “need” what you’re having?
3. Keep an eye on snacks – this is where things often go south. One vada, dabeli, or samosa can ruin your efforts!
4. Stock up the right ingredients and cook ahead so you don’t order in last minute. You could also batch cook, making extra portions of rice or veggies and using them for different meals.
5. Set goals for yourself. Draw up a food plan/menu for the week and make a list of:
- Taboo foods: deep fried pakoras, sugary colas
- Indulgences you can have occasionally: homemade sweets, chaat
- Foods you can have in moderate amounts: meats, dairy, and healthy fats
- Foods you can eat in plenty: sabzis, fresh fruit
I’m ready to shed some kilos. Tell me more!