Get your blood sugar levels and diabetes under control with a few steps that could change the way you look and feel. It’s not just about quitting carbs and your favorite sugary foods. Instead of giving everything up, make every bite count!
Your 3 food mantras from today are:
1. Rope In The Right Foods
- The right carbs aren’t going to hurt you, so pick wisely.
- Say yes to complex, fiber-rich carbs like whole wheat, rolled oats, bajra, jowar, ragi, dalia, and amaranth.
- Go easy on refined or processed carbs like white rice, white pasta, regular noodles, instant noodles, and white bread.
- You can have simple carbs like fruits with a low glycemic index: apples, strawberries, pears, oranges.
- Stock up on other low glycemic index foods like peanuts, sweet potato, kale, cabbage, carrots, peas, and chickpeas.
- Go green. Leafy greens are both delicious and low-carb and packed with vitamins.
- Not all fats are bad for you. A little variety – olive oil, fatty fish, nuts and seeds – will keep your meals interesting.
- Snack smart! Khakra, veggie sticks with hummus, sprout salad, roasted peanuts, cucumber raita will all keep you full and your blood sugar levels stable between meals.
2. Get The Timing Right
Eating on a schedule keeps your blood sugar and energy levels steady. You are also unlikely to crave foods or binge if you eat at regular intervals. Make it a point to portion control, eating small quantities more frequently – that’s a great weight-loss tool too!
3. Stop Worrying!
The minute you stress or obsess over what you can and can’t eat, mealtimes are going to become a chore. The worrying won’t do your blood sugar levels any favors either!
Instead, give yourself enough time to plan your meals and buy groceries. Try new recipes, join like-minded communities, and dig out those handy food hacks to keep it all interesting. And don’t forget to slow down and savor every morsel!