Investing just half an hour in yoga could sort out the blood pressure (BP) problem you’ve been trying to shake off. Hypertension, as you know all too well, is worsened by stress and a lack of exercise, and yoga helps you battle both.
The Wonders of Yoga
Active yoga workouts that straddle the aerobic workout zone have the potential to lower BP by 5 to 8 mm Hg. Plus, certain asanas and yogic breathing (pranayama) are designed specifically to bring down stress hormone levels and relax your mind and body. For women with a baby on board, yoga lowers risk of pregnancy-induced hypertension too.
Give Yoga A Go
Remember, yoga isn’t a substitute for medication. If you feel you’re getting results, ask your doctor to review your medication after a few months – never stop meds on your own. Always check with your doctor before starting any exercise regimen, including yoga.
Here are some simple asanas you could try to keep your stress levels and BP in check. Recent research has shown that combining the asanas or movements with breathing techniques will give better results.
- Pranayama or Yogic Breathing to lower BP, energize you, reduce stress hormones, and lower heart rate
- Baddha Konasana or Bound Angle Pose for easing anxiety and high BP
- Shishuasana or Child Pose to ease stress and improve blood circulation
- Virasana or Hero Pose to relax the body and to do seated meditation
- Modified Setu Bandha Sarvangasana or Bridge Pose to calm the mind, ease stress, anxiety, and insomnia; therapeutic for high BP
- Modified Adho Mukha Svanasana or Downward Facing Dog to relieve stress, calm the brain, relieve insomnia, and help with high BP
- Corpse Pose Or Savasana to relax, de-stress, and calm the mind
Try these yoga poses initially under the supervision of a trained yoga instructor who can modify some of the poses, inversions, or bends if necessary, to suit your medical condition. You may need to use supports or other aids to make the poses more comfortable and prevent any adverse effects as a result of your high BP.
I’m ready to fight hypertension and get my BP under control. Show me more!
- Yoga as Antihypertensive Lifestyle Therapy, Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- Effectiveness of Yoga for Hypertension: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Journal
- 10 Ways to Control Blood Pressure, Mayo Clinic
- Breathing to Reduce Stress, Better Health Channel
- High Blood Pressure, Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- Yoga Poses, Art of Living
- Yoga for High Blood Pressure, Art of Living
- Yoga Poses, Yoga Journal