Keeping your body fighting fit is crucial right now. And considering about 80% of your body’s immune response lies in your gut health, what you eat has a big role to play. Here are some food warriors you must enlist.
1. Eat wholesome light food like veggie broths with turmeric and ginger, dal rasam, and chicken soup. These have an anti-inflammatory effect and could boost your immunity.
2. Eat gut-friendly probiotic and prebiotic foods. A majority of your body’s immune cells are in the gastrointestinal tract and it’s vital to line it with healthy microbiota that support your immune health.
These good bacteria can be found in probiotics while prebiotics support their growth. Have home-made dahi and other fermented foods like idli, sauerkraut, kimchi. Prebiotics are available in plant fibers so eat plenty of fresh vegetables.
3. Have some healthy fats every day. Nuts, olive oil, and fatty fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that can reduce inflammation and power up immunity.
4. Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, so you get antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that cut inflammation and help your body fight off infections. Have anti-inflammatory foods like ginger, turmeric, pepper, garlic, as well as beets, tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, and other cruciferous veggies.
5. Eat wholegrains that are nutrient-rich and pack in gut-friendly fiber.
6. Cut intake of fried and processed foods as they cause inflammation.
7. Drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated is necessary for your body to flush out toxins and loosen congestion so you can get rid of mucus.